Search This Blog

Like our Facebook page!!!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Double Decker Tacos (w/ taco flavored sour cream)



Well, last night was the first night home without the kids. They will be on vacation with their grandparents until Saturday.  The baby is still home with us, but this is the closest I've been to being "kid-free" in a long time....and I must say...I don't like it :/
Mealtimes have been the hardest to get use to. I wake up, and have no one to make breakfast for. Yesterday, around lunchtime, I just started pacing around my house and kitchen feeling like I had no idea what to do with myself. It didn't help that I got some fun shaped sandwich makers in the mail yesterday that I ordered for when I make the kid's lunch...I was dying to try it out. Instead, I did something I haven't done in months....I made myself lunch, sat down, and ate it all with no interruptions. Usually, other than occasionally finishing whatever the kids don't eat off their lunch plates, I only eat dinner. 

Anyways, when hubby called from work yesterday, & the "what are we gonna do for dinner" question popped up, we both immediately said tacos.  Probably had something to do with the fact that we just purchased 2 new hot sauces from a little shop in Downtown St.Augustine. We enjoy hot sauces that are sweet, yet still pack some heat, so we got a mango habanero, & a peach chipotle(both turned out to be delicious,BTW)   Instead of our usual soft shelled tacos, I suggested making double deckers (like they have at Taco Bell)

They turned out excellent...not that you can go wrong with tacos...but making the double deckers was a good choice.  As bummed as I was yesterday, trying to get used to the kids being away....I definitely  ate  my feelings last night.

Regretfully, I did not take pics last night as I was preparing the tacos, but their simple enough...I don't think step by step pics are necessary.
We like to use steak 'ums for our taco meat. Usually the hubby cooks the tacos, seens how it's one of the only things he knows how to cook, but I went ahead and made them last night.



Ingredients:

Steak ums, ground beef or chicken
Flour shells(fajita size)
Hard shells
refried beans
shredded cheese
lettuce
tomato
onion
Sour cream
cilantro




Directions:

1) Spread one large spoonful of refried beans onto flour tortillas.
Sprinkle cheese on top of same tortilla.
Wrap flour tortilla around hard shells.
Prepare as many as needed.
Place double decker shells on baking sheet & bake @ 350 for about 10 mins.
 2) cook meat.
3) remove shells from oven. Build tacos. Enjoy :)



To make taco flavored sour cream:
mix 1 tbs. Taco seasoning with 1 cup sour cream. BAM.

1 comment:

  1. Love tacos and double decker will make double the goodness, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete